Buying clothes for a baby is one of the most adorable things to do. Parents-to-be, as well as their friends and relatives, are actively surfing the web in the search of recommendations on how to select outfits for kids and check data on baby clothes size charts so that to make a proper choice. Look no further. Here we are going to tell you how to select child clothes sizes properly, as well as provide additional recommendations on choosing kids’ clothes.
These days, the variety of outfits for children is impressive. It is feasible to find diverse child clothing sizes, designs, styles, etc. However, no parent would like to buy a pile of outfits that will hardly be worn as a baby, especially a newborn, grows up so fast.
Choosing Outfits: What to Pay Attention to
Parents-to-be, as well as their relatives and friends, are wondering about the selection of baby clothing sizes most often. Thus, it makes sense to provide a small guide to better understand the list of outfit necessities for a child.
- The choice of outfits depends on the season when a baby is expected. This is obvious, however, many parents forget that a newborn girl expected in November will hardly wear that super-cute light dress.
- Onesies and bodysuits are the most often-required and changed outfits for newborns, despite when it is born.
- A 0-3 clothes size for kids is the most unused one. Quite often, parents, friends, and relatives tend to buy and present outfits of the smallest of kids’ clothing sizes. But a newborn grows too fast, thus, lots of outfits remain in the closet.
Child Clothes Size Chart: Why Use and How to Select
While waiting for a baby, parents usually undergo ultrasound investigation, thus, they know the expected weight and height of their baby. Otherwise, it is possible to consider an average baby size and select outfits according to it. Here is the information from the baby clothes sizes chart:
- Preemie: this is the smallest possible in the children’s clothes size chart. It has been designed for those tiny babies that are born prematurely with the weight from one to three pounds (can be also referred to small preemie) and from three to five pounds (large preemie).
- Newborn: for the weight up to 7 lbs, as well as the height of 19 inches.
- 0-3: for the weight up to 12 lbs and height — up to 23 inches.
- 3-6: up to 16 lbs & 25 inches.
- 6-9: max 20 lbs and the height — up to 27”.
- 6-12: from 17 to 22 pounds of weight & 27-29 inches.
- 12-18: up to 27 pounds & 32 inches.
- Toddler clothes sizing goes next: 2T, 3T, 4T, and 5T.
These are the indications provided in a child clothing size chart. While choosing, you may notice that the sizes are linked with the age, weight, and height of a baby. However, there are some other factors to be taken into account while selecting from size charts for babies:
- Fabrics & size: newborn outfits should be of natural materials only. That is the main rule. Thus, it is necessary to consider that these clothes will not be flexible at all. If you are checking a child clothes size chart and doubt between newborn and 0-3, better opt for 0-3.
- Particular brand: contingent on a brand, there are outfits that run smaller and those that run larger. Thus, the baby clothes size chart provided on the websites is indicative. How to overcome this problem? Ask experienced parents, as well as check the policies of exchange & return. Thus, if babies’ measurements provided in a chart differ from real children’s clothing sizes, you can exchange them with an outfit of sample size. Just for instance: Carter’s clothes usually run smaller, while those from Next are usually larger than the indications of the tags.
- Type of outfit: Onesies for sleeping can be bought a bit larger. As an alternative, you can opt for the items with built-in footies so that to use a onesie for a bit longer. In the meanwhile, it is not a good idea to buy larger clothes for a child to grow in. First of all, your child may feel bothered with rolled fabrics. Also, winter clothes that are not tightly fitting may even lead to hypothermia.
Kids Clothing Sizes and Particularities of Choice
Looking for outfits for infants, there are diverse recommendations and tips that are based on a season, essential care, convenience for parents, as well as comfort for a child. Check out the main checkpoints to consider while selecting kids’ outfits.
Clothes for Newborns
Thinking about outfits for newborns, parents should remember that they grow too fast. Two pounds can be gained monthly, sometimes even more. Thus, buying a lot of newborn and 0-3 items can be a waste of money. On the other hand, in the first months, you will have to change outfits of your baby quite often: from five to a dozen times per day. So, how do baby clothes sizes work for newborns? It is essential to buy the most frequently needed items like bodysuits and onesies in abundance. While such outfits like overalls, warm onesies, for example, in the amount of a couple of items.Particular attention should be paid to:
- The quality of fabrics and seams. The latter is even more important. Any hard stitch can irritate the soft skin of a newborn.
- Be sure that the neck area is ample enough for you to dress your child with less discomfort.
- Choose outfits with snaps and safe zippers. This will come in handy when you need to change your child at 3 a.m.
- The size should fit the real measurements of your child. 3-month baby clothes are not suitable for newborns. If a sleeping onesie is too large, it can roll under the back and prevent your child from the comfortable sleeping.
- In general, simplicity is the main rule in selecting outfits for newborns. Accessories are not only unnecessary but also dangerous.
Outfits for Infants from 3 to 18 Months
This is a considerable period. It is quite hard to predict all the possible outfits required for a particular child. How many baby clothes do I need in each size? This is one of the FAQs.
At the age of up to three months, your baby will be predominantly asleep. Thus, you will need only basic bodysuits and onesies that will often be changed. The number of other clothes should ensure comfort for parents, in the first place. If you hate doing laundry, buy more clothes and enjoy this process once a week.
After the age of three months, your baby will start learning the world around, including own body. The main principle of clothes selection should be based on the comfort and non-preventing of movements. Let the hands be free, as well as feet and legs. No accessories and small elements are allowed. A baby can even suck them and swallow.
Bodysuits and diverse onesies are still the best choices for this age. The quantity can be fewer as you will change these clothes not so often as in the first months.
Starting from six months, the growth of your baby will be not so fast. Thus, there will be no change in baby sizes week by week. Your baby will learn to sit and crawl in the second half of the first year. Lots of subjects around will interest your baby motivating it to move. Clothes will become dirty quite soon. Especially after you start getting your child acquainted with the food of adults. All the vegetables, fruit, and berries can be hardly cleaned from natural fabrics. Thus, the quality should ensure that clothes will withstand numerous rounds of laundry and ironing. Be ready that clothes will become unwearable, thus, choosing expensive designer everyday clothes for the age from six months can be a waste of money.
Recommendations for 12 Month Baby Clothes
After celebrating the first birthday, your child will learn to walk, probably, a bit earlier. Pay attention to the quality of fabrics. It has to be strong enough to withstand numerous falling and protect the skin of your child from injuries. This is the time to put denim and strong cotton fabrics on the list of textiles. Insignificant content of additional materials makes denim flexible so that the movements of your active child are not prevented. At this age, your child will check how reliable zippers, buttons, and other fastenings are. Be sure that they are safe enough.
Toddler Clothes Sizing: Any Difference with Infants?
After 18 months, each child is developing and behaving in his/her unique manner. Some of them are actively discovering everything around without fear. The others are more careful and love books and other toys. Besides, the heights and weight of toddlers are significantly different. How to properly select toddler sizes clothing? Find below several recommendations from parents:
- Start with checking a toddler clothing sizes chart. Use these measurements as basic data but think of the next considerations.
- Remember if your child used to wear smaller or larger outfits in the age of an infant. Thus, if your kid is higher, 2T size can be too small for a two-year-old toddler.
- Do not forget that kids’ clothing measurements of different brands are also different. Mostly, a certain brand has the outfits for all the ages that are smaller or larger than indications in charts and labels.
- Even after two years, some toddlers still have super-cute cheeks and pudgy legs. Check out the available selection of clothes for chubby toddlers so that not to prevent your child from comfortable movements. The more he/she is motivated to move, the quicker your active child will grow higher.
- Be always ready to throw an outfit away because it has been torn or spoilt. Toddlers are sometimes overactive, thus, the most important is to keep them safe and uninjured.
What Else to Consider?
Choosing outfits for kids, it is important to remember the comfort of both parents and children. Refer to the sizing chart for toddlers’ clothing, as well as for infants & newborns, measure your child, and check the return & exchange policy. Let your shopping for kids’ outfits be joyful and successful.