The variety of clothing for newborns these days is impressive. Every brand that offers outfits for kids has included the collection for the youngest ones in their range. Parents who are waiting for their first baby are often searching for a newborn clothing checklist that can help them out. Look no further. Here, you will find the information that will help you out.
Before proceeding to the lists of outfits you may want to shop, pay attention to certain crucial aspects of a baby clothes’ guide that are must-to-follow:
- Remember about the safety of your child. If you have never heard about the SIDS, check the info on the web and avoid the risks that are depicted. Among the others, there are certain restrictions on the choice of clothing. In particular, be sure not to cover your child with a blanket while it sleeps at home. Thus, to ensure comfort during sleeping, outfits have to be selected accordingly.
- The rules of dressing for a car seat are crucial. Not every parent, even the most caring one, knows that placing your newborn in a car seat when it is dressed in a warm overall imposes additional danger. Remember that safety belts have to be tightly fastened over one or two layers of clothes. The first travel by car will take place on the way home from the hospital. Thus, think of safe coming-home clothing for a newborn in advance.
- The quality of fabrics. Thinking about what baby clothes to buy, do not forget about the materials. This is especially important for cold seasons. For summer, most outfits are offered in linen, cotton, and other light materials. While winter collections are abundant in synthetics. Be sure to have the first-layer items of natural fabrics. While it is reasonable not to buy too many synthetic items. Just a couple of items so that to check the reaction of your newborn skin to these materials.
- Mind your laundry habits. Every family has got different approaches to laundry. Some do not mind doing it daily or three times per week, while the other families do the laundry weekly. If you belong to the latter group, double the newborn baby clothing checklist. Besides, it is important to remember that you need special hypoallergenic washing liquid and a double-rinsing mode for your newborn laundry. Check the reaction of the skin after the first laundry.
Above are the most essential considerations that influence the choice of outfits, as well as are among the basic rules of care for newborns. Let us reply to the most common questions that are asked by parents waiting for their first baby.
How Many Outfits Should I Have for My Newborn?
Waiting for a baby, it is essential for every parent to be prepared as much as possible. How many newborn clothes do I need? This is one of the most common and reasonable questions. However, there is no single answer to this query. Why? The main reason is the different lifestyles and habits of parents. Thus, before compiling a newborn clothes checklist, answer the following:
- Am I an active parent that will travel from the first months of its life? The answer influences the number of outfits you need.
- Are we going to attend diverse venues and festivities with our baby? For diverse occasions, you will need clothes in different styles and designs.
- Will we co-sleep and use carriers for strolls? If yes, there will be no need to foresee warm sleeping clothes.
- Who will help us in the first months? If a home-stay mum will be the only one who takes care of a newborn, outfits have to be easy and quick to put on. Besides, laundry shall not be required too often.
- How many outfits should I have for my convenience? This is a subjective feeling. Some parents have several pieces of each item and that is sufficient. While others feel the need to change outfits even while staying outside in summer.
Answering these questions, you will already understand if you need to foresee a large wardrobe for your baby or a basic baby clothes list that will be sufficient for you.
Basic Baby Clothing List for Your Newborn
No matter how you have replied to the above questions, there are still certain outfits that must be included in the wardrobe of your child. Here they are:
- Bodysuits (or rompers for summertime), at least seven pieces: these are irreplaceable items among newborn clothing essentials. The neck hole should be wide enough so that not to bother your child while dressing him/her. There should be snaps at the bottom. In such a way you will change a diaper without the need to undress your child completely. Kids dislike this process in most cases.
- Long-sleeve bodysuits for cold seasons. The quantity will depend on the season. The colder it is, the more pieces you should foresee. In winter times, they will be the first layer so that the skin of your child does not contact with wool or synthetic materials.
- Pants with footies, three to five pieces, depending on the season. Waiting for a baby in winter, you will need more pants, up to seven. Besides, for cold seasons, you can also foresee two pairs of warm pants.
- Hats: two light pieces and one warm for cold seasons. It is important to remember that the head should be protected against the sun rays in summer. When you spend time in the shed, you can take it off so that to avoid sweating.
- Socks: get several pairs. If you have chosen pants with footies, you can avoid putting socks on. Besides, newborns have got this super-skill of losing them. Thus, think about what is better.
- The choice and number of sleepers depend on your habits. If your baby is going to sleep in the nursery, sleeping overalls (or onesies) should warm enough. However, if you prefer co-sleeping, check lighter materials. You will be the source of warmth for your child.
- Swaddles can still be needed on a baby clothes checklist. Buy a couple of them. They may be needed by some newborns who tend to wake themselves up due to instant movements of hands and legs.
For Cold Seasons:
The basic list should be complemented with a warm overall, hat, mittens, socks, and blanket. You can also get booties or slippers. Besides, it is crucial to pay attention to the humidity and temperature inside. The recommended temperature is around 65 degrees, thus, outfits for indoor activities should be also warm enough.
For Warm Seasons:
Be sure to get a light blanket for sleeping outside, as well as a good hat to protect against ultraviolet rays.
For Personal Preferences:
Active parents would also need diverse accessories for traveling, as well as outfits to visits diverse venues. The family looks for photoshoots are also very popular these days. Remember that dressing your newborn is not just following the rules but being satisfied as well.
How Long Do Babies Wear Newborn Clothes?
When you have already determined what to buy, it is no less crucial to think about the size to choose. Newborn outfits are usually fit for babies up to 8 lbs. Thus, some newborns outgrow this size in several weeks. While others do not even wear this size. That is why it is better not to buy all the outfits in newborn sizes. This especially refers to the warm clothes needed for a newborn.
It is better to opt for the size 0-3. It is intended for the weight range up to 13 lbs. Thus, you can be sure that the clothes you buy will be worn by your baby. Remember that kids grow very fast in the first months. The speed of their growth and how long babies wear newborn clothes depend on the type of feeding, as well as the individual development of every child. Still, it is recommended not to pile the wardrobe of your baby with newborn-size outfits.
How Many Onesies Do I Need for a Newborn?
Onesies are the comfiest outfits. They are quick to put on and easy to change. Despite the season, at least three onesies can be bought in a newborn size. Then, it is better to opt for 0-3 size. Remember that onesies with built-in footies should have sufficient length so that not to prevent your baby from movements. Still wondering how many onesies do I need, buy three pieces. These are the most comfortable outfits for active pastimes, sleeping, and strolls for newborns.
What Baby Clothes Do I Need: Final Say
While getting ready for a baby, parents ask numerous questions and follow the recommendations they are provided with. In this hassle, it is important to remember what you like and want. All the recommendations can be divided into two groups: health-and-safety concerns, as well as opinions of the other people.
It is easy to guess that following logic and common sense, you will make the choices that will not endanger your child. All the other decisions should be based on the convenience of parents. Should I buy newborn clothes in advance? Can I do to the seaside with my 2-months-old baby? These all are the decisions to be made by parents, not other people. Enjoy the shopping and let yourself buy whatever you like so that to enjoy dressing your beloved baby.