Usually, parents simply do not have time to buy clothes for their baby in stores. There are plenty of routines at home, as well as numerous tasks at work. Thanks to internet shopping, it is now possible to save a lot of time by ordering baby clothes online. At any online platform, children's products like clothes, shoes, toys are in great demand. Usually, online stores provide customers with a huge catalog of goods for children, including clothes, toys, educational materials, and many more items.
Like any other web purchase, buying outfits for babies online has some pitfalls. To avoid being disappointed, you should select a reliable supplier of outfits for your little one. Of course, you can read numerous comments and feedback online, however, any opinion is subjective. And you will never know how a store works and if baby clothes are of a high quality there until you make your order there. For this, you need to correctly determine the clothing size of your kid.
Determining the Size of Baby Clothes
To determine the size of clothes for children correctly and as accurately as possible, it is necessary to take measurements correctly. Here are some useful tips:
- Children under one year old should be measured lying down. After a year and older, your baby should stand against the wall, while the heels, calves, buttocks, shoulder blades, and the back of the head should be tightly pressed against the measuring bar or wall.
- The chest should be measured at the level of the bottom of the shoulder blades.
- When measuring your baby's waist, make sure that your little one does not suck in the stomach.
- To measure the hips, as in adults, place the tape at the most protruding points.
- Arm length is measured from wrist to shoulder.
- Measure the length of the trousers from the point on the waist to the ankle.
As soon as you have got all the measurements, you are ready to select the correct clothing size for your baby clothes.
Reading a size chart: what does 2T mean?
All models are conventionally divided into two main categories - by age (for toddlers and older children) and gender. Toddler clothing is usually the outfits ranging from two to five or six years old. Clothes for older children are until 14 years old. The size range of clothes for the youngest babies is marked by the number of months with the addition of the letter M. So, for a child of six months, the size of the clothes will correspond to 6M.
Therefore, if you see the 2T label on an outfit or on the size chart, it should be for a 2-year-old kid. However, there is one confusing thing to take into account. There are also outfits labeled 24 months. What is the difference between 2T and 24M? We will help you to understand.
It is clear that these two sizes are for kids of approximately two years old. However, it is always necessary to remember that every child has one’s own pace of development. First of all, physically. Some kids are significantly higher than others. This can be well noticed if your little one attends kindergarten. For higher toddlers, you should undeniably opt for 2T rather than outfits labeled 24 months.
Another crucial aspect is other capabilities of your child:
- Are you still using diapers? Or can your little one already use a potty?
- How often do you change the outfits of your kid?
You have already got the idea. If your two-year-old child has developed some of the skills and capabilities in terms of hygiene, then you should opt for a 2T clothing size. These collections usually do not have bodysuits that are usually labeled 24 months.
What does 1T mean then?
Recently, the same approach has been implemented to baby clothes for one-year-olds. If your child is higher than average, you should opt for a 1T size. There are almost no differences in the collections of 12M and 1T. It is rather an additional size designation used by retailers.
What does 3t mean?
The next size in the range of manufacturers is 3T. By the age of three, kids usually stop growing so unexpectedly. Sometimes, it even seemed that the clothing size of your baby changed overnight. If previously, you used to wear 2T clothes at the age of two, you may continue ordering the outfits of the next size, which is 3T. Reaching the age of three, the changes in the height of your baby are not so often. So, you may even expect that 3T outfits will be suitable for more than one season.
What does 4T mean, 5T, 6T?
Following the logic of sizes, you can order outfits for your toddler according to age. Pre-schoolers are still different in their height, weight, and other body parameters, therefore, never buy outfits without checking the size chart.
What About Tolerances?
Buying baby clothes of different brands, you will notice that regardless of what is written on the chart, the sizes are usually either a bit smaller or larger. In the first case, it is disappointing for parents to receive clothes that their baby cannot wear. That is why we have prepared a couple of tips that will help to avoid additional stress while shopping for your baby.
- Check return & exchange policies in advance: Remember, they are subject to changes. Even if you have already returned outfits to this seller, the terms may change.
- If you shop for discounted outfits, opt for a bigger size. These clothes cannot be returned. Your baby will grow and wear this item.
- Compare inches and centimeters on the chart. Not all manufacturers measure outfits in inches. If they base sizes on the centimeter metric system, there might be a mistake in the conversion. If there is an error, ask a supplier to clarify the size.
Choose only trusted brands and sellers that are known in the market. In this way, you will be sure that the outfits for your baby are of high quality, and you will be able to exchange them if something goes wrong.