If you are expecting your new family member to appear in late autumn or winter, it is wise to think not only about baby names but also about including newborn baby winter clothes in a registry. It is crucial to start with checking the tips for dressing a newborn baby at home and outside to know what you will need. To help you correctly select winter clothes for newborns, The Trendy Toddlers will tell you how to dress a newborn in winter, which crucial aspects to consider, and how not to expose your little one to uncomfortable temperatures.
Main Rules to Follow When You Dress Your Baby
When it comes to dressing your baby, especially a newborn, as a parent, you should think about thermal regulation. Every adult, just like a baby toddler, has got different feelings under the same weather conditions. The same applies to newborns. A significant difference is that the latter ones need some time to adjust the skin thermal regulation. In the majority of cases, selecting winter clothes for newborns, parents think that their little one feels much colder than they. This leads to overpacking them and overheating. Do not be surprised to discover that when dressing your baby in winter, you risk overheating it more than exposing your little one to being cold.
Thus, the first and most crucial rule of dressing babies in winter is to always check how your little one reacts to a certain number of layers. The same can be applied even to dressing your baby toddler. Knowing this, you will be sure how to dress your baby and what clothes you need for your little one.
How to Check If a Newborn is Cold?
If you think that checking the nose and cheeks is the right way, then forget about it. To understand if you dress your baby correctly, check the neck. It may cause discomfort, especially if you touch it with cold hands. However, it is the right way to define if your little one is okay. If the neck is hot, the next time you go out, put on one layer less.
If you are at home, it is possible to understand better if your newborn is not cold. Check the feet and belly. They should be warm. For nap time, consider adding a sleeping sack for your little one because they won’t move so actively during sleeping.
1. Getting Ready for a Stroll: Follow the Rule of Plus-one Layer
Firstly, before going out, every parent should think about dressing themselves. After all, you will spend the same amount of time outside. Are you ready? Then consider the same set of newborn baby winter clothes and add one layer. The latter can be a blanket in a stroller. Be sure, it is more than enough for your little one to feel comfortable in a stroller that protects a newborn from the wind.
You should approach the task differently if you give preference to a carrier or sling rather than a stroller. Thus, take into account that you and your baby will contact, thus, warm each other. A layer of cotton onesie and fleece overall for your little one will suffice. Above, you will put on a special babywearing coat. Thus, you may survive the winter even without a newborn winter overall.
2. Car Seat Rules: Safety Comes First
When you wonder how to dress your baby when you travel somewhere, it is crucial to pay attention to the fact that the belt of the newborn car seat should be tightly attached to the body of your baby. Thus, no winter overalls are allowed on a newborn and even baby toddler when seated in the car. You can simply put an overall over your little one in the car seat or take a blanket with you.
This matter is essential because the first trip of your baby will be a few days after birth when you take your new family member from the hospital. Thus, complement a registry with a car seat (an undeniable must-have) and a blanket you will use in the car to cover your tiny traveler.
3. Staying at Home: Ensure Proper Temperature and Humidity
If you have been arranging a nursery for your baby, you should have already come across the requirements for the air temperature and humidity. The optimum temperature at home should be within 64 – 66 degrees F. While the relative humidity should range within 40-60%.
To maintain the above conditions at home, not only in the nursery, it is necessary to install gauges in every room and buy an air purifier. It is better to put on your little one a bit more layers of clothes and maintain a healthy environment than to increase the temperature at home.
So, if you have complied with the above requirements for the temperature and humidity, a cotton bodysuit and an onesie above will be sufficient for your newborn at home. The same number of clothes is enough for a baby toddler.
Overheating As the Main Danger
Undeniably every parent wants all the best for their children. Being afraid that such a tiny baby is cold, they tend to overpack their babies with clothes. In the majority of cases, this may lead to rash underneath a diaper or on the cheeks. However, in rare cases, newborns have some problems with thermal regulation, and they are overheated. Here are the main signs that should serve you as evidence of overheating.
- Your baby is read: The red color of the skin is the first sign of overheating. Of course, it can also be evidence of allergy. However, be sure to exclude the fact that your little one is overpacked.
- Your child is too warm to touch: Check the neck and ears — they should not be too warm. If you hesitate, check the back. If it is hot and sweaty, undress your kid.
- Colics: Your little one sleeps worse, and you have noticed all the symptoms of newborn gripes. One of the reasons leading to them is overheating. Thus, verify if it is true by regularly checking the skin of your little one. Remember one of the rules that help overcome gripes: ensure the proper air temperature and humidity, as well as verify that your little one is not overheated.
- Rapid heartbeat: It is another sign of overheating. Besides, the breathing rate is also fast in this case. Proceed in the same way: ensure that the humidity and temperature are within the allowed range, undress your little one if there are too many clothes, and keep your newborn hydrated.
Newborn Baby Winter Clothes: What You Really Need
Summing up all the above, as a parent, your main task is to define the comfortable number of clothes for your baby in winter. Besides, it is quite complicated not to overpack these tiny babies. However, overheating imposes a lot of danger, thus, it is crucial.
To help you collect the wardrobe for your newborn, we are going to provide you with a list you can use while making up your own newborn registry and choosing outfits for baby girls, or baby boys.
- A pack of bodysuits (about 7 pieces): These are undeniable must-haves regardless of the season. Give preference to long-sleeved ones in winter. In this way, you will not need to buy additional shirts for a newborn.
- A pack of cotton onesies (about 7 pieces): Another necessity for a newborn. These are convenient for sleeping at home and outside in a stroller. Besides, parents adore them for the convenience of changing. Therefore, look for onesies with snaps.
- A fleece overall (2 or 3): A great benefit of this material is that it is really warm but not heavy. If it becomes dirty, you can expect that it will be dry really quickly. You will put it on every time you go out or travel by car.
- A winter one-piece overall: If you prefer a stroller, then you need a winter overall. Some parents opt for a sleeping sack that is transformed into an overall. Check out the options available in stores and decide which one suits your needs and lifestyle. If you often travel by car, then an overall transforming into a sleeping sack or blanket will be convenient.
- A hat, other accessories, and a warm blanket: Accessories may include mittens. However, while selecting an overall, look for one with built-in mittens. In this way, you will not lose them.
- Other cute trendy clothes you like: Above, there is a suggested minimum of clothes you need for your newborn in winter. However, if you cannot resist buying a super-cute sweater or Christmas-themed dress, include them on the list.
It does not matter if you are preparing for a newborn baby in winter or summer, bodysuits and onesies should be manufactured of natural textiles. In this way, your little one will not be cold. Even if you have overpacked your baby, these fabrics will let the skin breathe. Thus, this will not lead to serious reactions like a rash. Remember the above rules, stay wise and reasonable, and enjoy the first winter in the role of a parent. Read the blog of The Trendy Toddlers — here you will find a lot of useful information, from choosing newborn baby names to baby toddler safety rules to follow.